Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Know My Name


Photobucket



SHANNON;
Shannon means "small, wise one".

Whelp, I'm short, and I'm pretty Wise, so that's legitimate, yeah?

The meaning of the name Shannon most probably refers to an ancient Celtic deity identified with a river in Ireland. The River Shannon is the principal river of Ireland. 240 mi. (386 km) long flowing SW from Northern Ireland to the Atlantic. The River Shannon presumably refers to the Goddess associated with the river, "Sionna" (pronounced SHAN-nen).[2] The Irish goddess sought out the hazelnuts of wisdom which were believed to contain éigse, the spirit and inspiration of poetry.

In Celtic mythology, the search for wisdom was usually made by a woman who found it in a river or well. Always, she is changed by the knowledge into a new being; a goddess.

There are several Irish legends accounting for the name Shannon. A well called Connla's Well existed under the sea that was filled with fish and either hazel or rowan trees, depending on which legend you are reading, dropped their nuts or berries, depending again on the legend, into the well. The salmon that ate the nuts or the berries were thought to gain great knowledge and wisdom. This made the fish very desirable and fishermen worked very hard to get and catch these.

Women were not allowed to eat these so-called "fish of knowledge or wisdom."

However, a brave rebel female named Shannon (spelled Sionnain in Gaelic), who some say is the daughter of the moon, ignored this rule and caught and ate one of the fish. Immediately upon this infraction, the well water rose up and carried Shannon to the Atlantic Ocean, creating the River Shannon.

I got that from Wiki 'cause I was too lazy to re-type it all.

But anyway, I've always thought this was really cool, the meanings behind names, zodiacs, that sort of thing.It's how how these things sort of are a part of you, and in some cases (like mine) really are legitimate. I love history, learning about the past, and philosophy, that sort of stuff just really interests me. Even some scientific stuff presented in the right context really draws me in too! But you know what I find is unfortunate? How people think they know you just because they know your name, yeah, how lame is that? I've learned a lot of the time that people grow; they change. Well, for the most part. Some asss-holes are just Ass-holes their whole life, but if you think about it, your learning, and forming yourself every day, now matter if your going to school or not. A day where you do not learn something, anything, is a day wasted!

Some people will always let their stubborn prideful selves get the better of them, and cause them to lose out on things, and that's always unfortunate!

Anyway, I really don't know where I was going with this today, I was just tired, and didn't wanna come up with an outfit post (I stayed in my jammies all day, haha.) so this is what came up!

Picture is of me/edited by me/ Don't use :]


No comments:

Post a Comment